Monday, December 19, 2011
This is the second time I've made this blouse, the first time was in a cotton not long after I started sewing so it had no adjustments. I've never worn it, it never fit properly around the bodice (no FBA), and the peplum tending to stick out a lot because the fabric I used was quite a heavy cotton, almost a quilting weight. So this time around I used a Cotton Satin which is a lot thinner and made a sz18 with a 1" FBA and added 2" to the back width which I ended up easing into the midriff band as it was too much. I think a bit of the oversizing is due to the fabric as it has some give to it.
I originally made the flutter sleeve version but the sleeves didn't quite fall right, so I cut them down to fit tighter.
Its a very neat construction method with this blouse - there's no facings except for the midriff band and the inside is all finished with bias binding. The pattern calls for interfacing the midriff band, but I interfaced both the midriff band and the midriff facing as this fabric is fairly flimsy and I'm only got light/medium interfacing at the moment.
I used black buttons from my stash
I'm struggling a bit with this blouse because it's so different to everything I usually wear, even though when I look at the photos I think it looks fine. It feels quite feminine and pretty when I usually wear knitted tanks and cardigans, I think I just need to wear it around a bit and get used to it. At least its work appropriate and it should be fairly cool as its 100% cotton, and I can see making it again as a sleeveless blouse to wear with a shrug/cardigan