Friday, December 16, 2011
So even though this pattern is for a formal dress I thought it would make a nice top. I used a Cotton Satin off the spotlight clearance table, first time I've seen it, its thin like a cotton but has a nice sheen like a sateen.
I shirred the back of the top - I really wish I'd not used the zipper, the top doesn't need it plus it was a PITB, I always remember afterwards when I sew with bias that I should have put some interfacing down each side for the zipper before I start sewing. It always ripples, I end up having to unpick and run gathering stitched down the ripples, then resew! Maybe i should write myself some cheatsheets to remind me what not to do! There's still some rippling, but not enough to bother me.
I interfaced the midriff band - If I make it again I wouldn't bother having it, it tends to crumple up when I wear it. I ended up hand stitching down the gathers on the front of the bodice too - they were pouching out so I did some small stitches under the creases.
I made the size 20 with a 1" FBA and added 2" on each back bodice side for the shirring.
The bodice was lined with a stretch cotton and used satin bias binding to do a hong kong finish on any exposed seams
Self fabric piping
I'm loving this fabric, lots brighter than what I normally wear, in fact I think its the only pink item of clothing I own!