Monday, September 3, 2012

Vogue 8648: Skater dress






Another copycat dress from RTW! I've liked this one at citychic and a friend of mine said she wished the black was on the outside to help create a taller/slimmer shape.

Source

Since I had already muslined up this pattern for the Couture dress plus the pattern was very close to the same design lines of the skater dress I decided to use it. I know I had originally done a FBA to the muslin but for some reason it wasn't on my pattern pieces so I didn't do one to this dress...I think the only reason I got away without it was using the ponte knit, but the bust doesn't fit as well as I'd like so next dress I make from this pattern will definitely have one! The underbust seam is about an inch too high and its stopping the waist from sitting properly.



This was a sz22 with about an inch taken out of each side to help it fit. I constructed this a little different than usual, doing the side seams last. I've found with this cheap ponte from Lincraft that it stretches out over time so this way its an easy fix to tighten up the side seams if I need to.


I added pockets!


I like the way the skirt hangs on this dress, I'd like to make it out of a cotton sateen to make the circle skirt stand out a bit more!

19 comments:

  1. Great dress Suzy - love the way you have changed the look to black at the sides. Pockets a great addtion too - I haven't be brave enough to do pockets yet. They are one of the things (many things) that intimidate me. I'll get to them one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beajay! After that great top you just made I reckon you'll find that inseam pockets are nice and easy, they are the first pockets I sewed up as well :) These are actually the pockets of out Simplicity 2588, they sew onto the waistband as well as the side seam to stop them flopping around (I keep a trace out on my pin-up board and use them in all my dresses!)

      Delete
  2. I love a good copy-cat :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. I kept looking for where you said you added the sleeves and then I realised that you had a shrug on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I reckon it looks better with the sleeves but I ran out of fabric to add them on!

      Delete
  4. Fab dress! It looks great. I want one now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greta dress, the colour blocking is so clever - I love it paired with the shrug too. It looks awesome with sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I actually traced the sleeves out but ran out of fabric!

      Delete
  6. This is really sharp- I love how you color blocked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress! Love the lines and the color blocking, and I'm always a sucker for a Ponte knit. You look great in purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat Ponte! Easy to sew and even easier to wear, I lvoe the stuff!

      Delete
  8. That dress is hot!!! I love the panelling! Looks fab on you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this dress. It is so flattering and flirty too. The colour blocking is great, something I need to try along with pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am drooling so much over this dress right now! Purple and circle skirts are two of my favorite things. This looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete