Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Vogue 1051: Adventures in pants fitting - Fisheye dart
First version: I used my pants block and graded out to about a sz20. I had a lot of excess fabric at the back that even after unpicking the inner seams and pinning them together while wearing them, they still bunched.
So I ended up pinning out the excess in the back and transferred it to the pattern using Debbie Cook's fisheye dart method.
I unpicked the pants and managed to recut the back pieces so didn't have to cut new pieces which was good (but unpicking all that stitching and serging, that was bad!).
So the pics - this was before with the original pants pattern;
and this is after doing a 1" Fisheye dart;
So I wouldn't say a humongous difference but it is smoother and I didn't want to take so much out that they weren't comfortable to sit in.
Facings are a sateen again. On a side note I've been having a lot of trouble with my pants stretching out lately, and I think its because of using a stretch material for the facing. So next pants will have a cotton facing and hopefully that will stop it.
Be aware too that the front welt pockets are teeny tiny! I can't even fit my phone in them
This was not the best material for pants, its quite thin and stiff plus its showing wear already and doesn't drape as nicely as it needs to for these pants. The legs are a lot more flared than they seemed in the pattern drawing and a drapier material would look better I think.