Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sewaholic 1203: Twill Thurlows





Welcome to my month of pants! I finished up my pants block with StephC this week and I can't say how happy I am with the finished result so now its time to work on transferring the block into patterns.
It was easier to trace/transfer over than I thought but I did make a bit of a newbie error on these pants - I didn't pin out the front dart so the added width of the dart has skewed the side seams at the top, add that to the fact that this material is a crappy polyester twill that gave me all kinds of hell sewing it means the side seams embarressing enough I nearly didn't put up the side photo!
But it was a good learning experience and if I make the Thurlow's again I'll be changing the pockets a bit (turning them into classic pockets with a pocket stay) and making the waistband wider. Having said all that though I am very proud of how smooth these pants sit at the front without any extra adjustment other than using my block.

I added a bright red sateen facing and red buttonholes (I've become rather obsessed with Sherlock and I love the red buttonhole on his coat!).



So stay tuned for more pants! I have plain, bright, long, capri's and jeans planned!

So a huge thanks to Steph who gracefully dealt with looking at more pictures of my crotch than anyone ever should have to!

8 comments:

  1. You should be proud - GREAT pants. I am going to try my first pair this month - but I am going to start easy - elastic waist. I love your contrasting band. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks beajay! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished pants :)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous outcome. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, seeing your last couple pants was what pushed me into getting my own pants block.

      Delete
  3. Awesome! You're so stitchly and clever fingered! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous outcome! I really need to get onto making up Steph's block. I Lurve the bright red button holes :)

    ReplyDelete