Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Sewaholic 1203: Twill Thurlows
Welcome to my month of pants! I finished up my pants block with StephC this week and I can't say how happy I am with the finished result so now its time to work on transferring the block into patterns.
It was easier to trace/transfer over than I thought but I did make a bit of a newbie error on these pants - I didn't pin out the front dart so the added width of the dart has skewed the side seams at the top, add that to the fact that this material is a crappy polyester twill that gave me all kinds of hell sewing it means the side seams embarressing enough I nearly didn't put up the side photo!
But it was a good learning experience and if I make the Thurlow's again I'll be changing the pockets a bit (turning them into classic pockets with a pocket stay) and making the waistband wider. Having said all that though I am very proud of how smooth these pants sit at the front without any extra adjustment other than using my block.
I added a bright red sateen facing and red buttonholes (I've become rather obsessed with Sherlock and I love the red buttonhole on his coat!).
So stay tuned for more pants! I have plain, bright, long, capri's and jeans planned!
So a huge thanks to Steph who gracefully dealt with looking at more pictures of my crotch than anyone ever should have to!