Friday, September 7, 2012

Simplicty 1783: Pants





Second pair of pants using my pants block! These are the 3/4 length pants from S1783, same pattern I used to make my denim skirt.

Since I was using stretch fabric this time (bengalene from Lincraft), I took 2cm off the inner leg seam and 2.5cm off the outside leg seam. It meant I cut about a sz 24. One thing to note about the pants block - I have found it so much easier to grade patterns up while using it which is fantastic if you don't always fit in the standard sizes.
The side seams are pulling backwards at the top again so I've adjusted my pants block to hopefully correct this on future pants.

I really like the square front pockets, the pattern has the opening to the side which I think is kind of strange, the first time I'd sit down in them my phone would fall out! So these open to the top.

Red sateen facings again (I've got a heap of it to use up so get used to seeing it!!)


The pants length was a little odd, I'm just over 5'6" and these hit just at my ankle, not long enough to be pants but not short enough to be capri's! I cut 6" off them and did a 3" hem to get them to this length. Next pair I make I'm going to add some length to make them into proper pants

I've been on the hunt for pants just like this for summer, they're surprisingly hard to find in RTW down here!

20 comments:

  1. These are soo freaking cute. After I saw your jean skirt I went out and bought the pattern. You sold me! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Thats the best thing about sewing blogs, I've found so many patterns that I would never have bought otherwise!

      Delete
  2. Great fit - I'm really tempted to get a pants block done as me and pants have a somewhat tempestuous relationship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Honestly its the best thing I've done for my sewing so far - its so quick and easy to make a pair of pants now, no need to make muslins anymore either! I just wish I'd done it when I began sewing, it would have saved a lot of wadders!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic fit, how wonderful.... A very cute pair of pants!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking great! Nothing like that in the shops up my way either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! The shops down here are terrible! I hover inbetween normal and plus sizes and the plus size clothing is like wearing a sack, and the normal sizes are terribly made with awful material!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, interesting. I was wondering how the pants block went with fabric such as bengeline. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with how it worked with the bengalene - I could have taken them in even more, maybe 1.5-2" on the side seams instead of the 1" but I like them with this much ease.

      Delete
  6. Great pants Suzy - I'll have to look further at this Block for pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beajay, I reckon its worth looking into the block if you want to make pants, honestly I wish I'd had one when I started sewing! It doesn't eliminate all problems with fitting pants (I'm still experimenting with different fabrics and how they'll work with the block) but it makes it so much easier and quicker!

      Delete
  7. Wow, they fit perfectly.. and look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super looking pants - well made (as usual) and no fault whatsoever in the fit of these - brill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Moly. You're churning out self made garments at the speed of light - and another pair of pants to boot! I'm suffering a bit of a sewing slump at the moment myself... but yet again some more inspiration to get onto trying out Steph's Block :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd been in a sewing slump as well before we finished the block but I'm feeling so inspired right now!

      Delete