Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Licorice allsorts dress
Self drafted pattern (as self drafted as a couple of rectangles are, lol)
Fabric - Quilting weight cotton from Rathdowne Fabric
My daughter has a RTW dress that's too big now and she wanted a copy of it. The original dress has elastic shirring but I thought with this one I'd sew channels and thread thin elastic through.
I used the rolled hem on my serger for the first time, its so easy! I'm so glad I didn't have to hem it all with a normal narrow hem, would have taken ages!
She always complains about straps being too tight so I thought I'd make a channel of fabric and thread elastic through it as well
and because we both seem to have an obsession with pockets I put patch pockets on the front and put a couple of snap fasteners on them too to stop her stuff falling out (Gee, I didn't realise how uneven the pocket ruffles were till I took this photo!)
Ruffled front hides the bodice seam
and buttons from the Alannah Hill outlet in Melbourne
I like sewing kids stuff, its so much more forgiving than adults and hides mistakes easier, plus you can use bright patterned fabric that I love but would look silly wearing!