Wednesday, June 13, 2012

McCalls 5525: Shauntung trench progress

After the success of the Violet trench and how much I wear it, I wanted a dressier version of it and when I saw this cotton Shantung on the clearance table I snatched it up!

Same details as last time, the fabrics a lot thinner this time though and was harder to get the bound buttonholes looking as nice, they're a bit dodgy at the edges. I used a rat tail cord to cord the buttonholes to give them a bit more body.

Lining's a silk satin and I've made piping from the satin side of the shantung

Buttons are from Judiths (Hubbie's great nan) stash.

I'm hoping to get a big chunk of it finished over the weekend. I've been really enjoying sewing in my new room this winter, its so warm with the heater and so nice to look out at the rain, such a difference compared to sewing out there last year!


  1. Super collection of bit and pieces so you're all ready to go and beautiful work so far. Really looking forward to the finished mac - I've been thinking about making one for ages but have never got round to it

  2. Looking good Suzy - LOVE the lining.

  3. Looking good. I would be interested in how you do the facings of the bound buttonholes. Mine just suck.

  4. I love your lining! I admire you for tackling bound buttonholes on such a thin fabric. Can't wait to see it!

  5. WOW! Such gorgeous choices! This is going to be so stunning! Love it, can't wait to see the final version.