Pattern description: A line dress with a skirt ruffle overlay and a lined bodice
Fabric used; I was a crepe that I was given
Size: I made a 18 with adjustments. I made a 1" FBA then turned it into princess seams and ended up taking about an inch out of the back width. I also added about 2" to the length and scooped out the neckline deeper.
I loved the ruffle across the front of the dress when I first saw it in the book and was originally going to make this up out of a grey gaberdine that I have but after spotting the crepe I thought I'd use that. Well, this fabric had a definate ability to grow as I sewed, even after I stay stitched the neckline. So when I went to insert the lining it didn't match up very well and I still have some rippling down the zipper and on the very top of the princess seams that I'm not very happy with. It's slowly growing on me, straight after I finished it I thought about unpicking it all but I've calmed down a bit now and am starting to really like it!
So anyway, I really liked the construction method of this dress, of course I only read it properly after I'd finished D'oh!! If you follow the instructions (like I will next time!), the final seam you construct is actually the side seams, meaning there is no need for any hand stitching and its a very neat finish.
Now for the good stuff;
I added pockets!
Its a very pretty dress pattern, and I will make it again. There's so many options, it would look so pretty with a chiffon overlay, and I wonder about something like a sateen, it would be stiffer but I could iron it down a bit if it stuck out and maybe a knit - it would be so comfortable in something like a Ponte! Plus the ruffle would be so easy to add to any other dress pattern and I like how versatile it is - you can be worn to the office or just out grocery shopping.