Friday, February 13, 2015

McCalls 6953: Knit and Voile maxi dress


 

I've been a bit obsessed with mixed fabric dresses lately, I love a knit bodice and a woven skirt, seems the best of both worlds!

Pattern detailsn (same as last time I made this dress);
  • sz20 with d cup
  • 1" fba
  • 1" wedge from back neck alongside of the zipper
  • 2" petite bodice
  • 1" wedge out of bustline length
  • lowered neckline
  • added waistband
  • added pockets from Simplicity 2588
There were a couple added adjustments since the bodice is a knit;
  • Took in the sides by a total of 4"
  • Took out length in the bodice of about 2"
  • Cut the back on the fold
  • Gathered the skirt instead of pleating it so I could make the dress a pull-on.
  • Bound the neckline instead of lining the dress.
  • Added a 4" facing to the hem to help weigh it down
I do need to take some length out of the upper chest as its buckling slightly. It looks like the princess seams are ripply too but in real life they sit flat.

Fabric:
Cotton spandex knit for the bodice from Spotlight and a cotton voile for the skirt that was left over from my Cambie dress


I'm happy with how it turned out and I'll be making more mixed fabric dresses soon!

8 comments:

  1. It looks lovely and the skirt should feel really nice on hot days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty! and the color is beautiful on you. I love how the voile works with the knit, I had not thought of using them together. But the voile is so light it doesn't pull the knit down - great matching of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely dress on you! Definitely make more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! It looks very comfortable, too. I haven't done much mixing of woven and knits, but you're inspiring me to try it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo I'll bet that skirt feels nice and airy on those hot days, eh? Lovely dress - you're just killing it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh that looks amazing! For some reason knit + woven would never have occurred to me. Perfect meeting of comfort and swoosh factor!

    ReplyDelete