Sunday, July 27, 2014

Simplicity 1463: Lace back top



 
Spotlight had a really good sale on patterns this week so I ducked in yesterday and got a few. I've been eyeing this top off for awhile so grabbed it (along with a pile of Vogues and another Simplicity jacket pattern).

It was a very quick sew, I didn't bother with a muslin but did double check the flat pattern measurements and did a 1"FBA that I eased into the side seam.


It has a lot of ease, I should have made a XL or a XXl according to my measurements but this is a SzL with no other fit adjustments other than the FBA. I did change a couple of design things - I did a scoop neck instead of the V-neck and I cut the hem off rounder.


The fabric is a rayon knit from the Alannah Hill outlet in Melbourne and the lace was a remnant out of my scrap drawer.

I'm happy with it, the rayon is drapy enough that the top hangs nicely, I've normally struggle making tops and I think I've just been using the wrong type of knit fabric. I'm not quite sure about the drape at the front of the top, it is designed to be a bit swingy but I have taken a wedge out of the centre front for next time I make it so it sits more like a basic tshirt.


I really like the lace at the back, it does show off my bra straps but I'm bogan enough it doesn't worry me, lol.

8 comments:

  1. Great top the colour really suits you and the lace was a surprise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute top! The lace back really makes it stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour combo on this top is fantastic. Do you have to do anything special when sewing lace seams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lace seams sewed up like normal - I used a ball point needle (just because I was sewing knits) and overlocked the seams like normal. Lace always worries me before I sew it but it really doesn't need any special treatment (at least the poly stuff in this top didn't). Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful top that can be worn on different levels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzy, this looks rad! That lace pop is so much fun! And yay for awesome Alannah Hill fabrics- I can't wait to get to Melbourne again to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete