Sunday, February 24, 2013

Megan Nielsen 2102: banskia top





 I made this for my daughter, it's a trial run before I cut into the cat fabric from Melbourne for her. The top itself is nice and simple, I always struggle to fit my daughter in a woven fabric though, I think it's because she has opposite adjustments to what I need.


There's still some problems with the fit, the shoulders were way too narrow on her and therefore the sleeves were too high and tight so I cut them off.  This is a size small with the bust darts raised by 1" and the collar pointed. Next version I think I'll make a sz medium and attempt a SBA with a small sloping shoulder adjustment. If anyone can pick up any more fitting issues please say, any advice is welcome!


The fabric is cotton poly blend from Spotlight, it has a cute Kawaii type print on it, I kind of think it looks like pyjamas but Amber seems to like it. All I can ever imagine with cutesy prints like this is Michael Kors popping up and saying  it looks becky homecky! Buttons are from the stash, think they were from Spotlight as well.
 

And all I can say about the poses is I think I've showed her Amanda's blog too many times, lol!

 
We are headed up to Brisbane soon, if anyone has any tips on where to take the kids (on a budget) and what fabric shops are good please comment or email me! We are up there for 4 days, my daughter is competing in the Goju Ryu Karate Nationals on Sunday but we have a couple of days to fill in as well, would love to meet anyone at a decent fabric shop for a chat and a wander (sorry for the short notice though!)

19 comments:

  1. Suzy, it's a shame she is so camera shy, lol!
    I think it is cute! Fun fabric, and seems like a great fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous model - nice moves. I love that collar. The Fabric Store on James Street, Fortitude Valley is my pick for fabric shopping in Brisbane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thank you, I know we are going to the Chinatown mall and its only a short walk to The Fabric Store according to google!

      Delete
  3. I love the collar too! And your daughter's poses are hilarious. I think the collar and styling make it look like a fun top and not pyjama-like at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! I have pose and blouse envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was that relaxed in front of the camera! I have one pose and that's about it!

      Delete
  5. You must go to GOMA - Gallery of Modern Art which always has fantastic displays and is around a great precinct great for wandering around, including South Bank which has beach pools and BBQ's and things. We often take picnic dinner after school, have a swim and dinner then go home. Really great. The Fabric Store is great but in Wandoo St just behind James St Markets and one that is really great is East Coast Fabrics - first driveway left off exit 23 on the motorway south to the Gold Coast.. it has great prices and nice fabrics. I'd love to catch up depending on when you are here. Email me at sofiem@internode.on.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such great info! I've emailed you :)

      Delete
  6. BWAH HA HA! The force is strong in this one ;D
    I really love the pointed collar on this- too cute!
    I really like The Fabric Store in the Valley- the remnants bin is fun of win! Also, it is awesome to walk around the Southbank precinct and into the city. I also agree on GOMA and also the State Library is pretty cool as well. Hope you have a rad time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she loves the camera, lol!
      Looks like The Fabric Store is the place to go, hopefully the staff will be friendlier than in the Melbourne store! I've had everyone tell me to go to Southbank, the pics look really nice so I'm really looking forward to that, and we are heading to the Chinatown mall in fortitude valley (that's when I'll walk around to The Fabric Store). Hope we have a rad time too!

      Delete
  7. I was going to say... it's like a mini-mandy! haha, she looks fabulous in those poses :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope I am not too late to catch up with you this weekend...email me if you can...djagouw(@)dodo(dot)com(dot)au....we will kick up a sewing storm....

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is so cute in this top.
    I would recommend the Fabric store and South Bank too, also the State Library has awesome sewing and fashion books + all sorts of interesting magazines for the other people.
    If you are in the Queen St Mall on a weekday or Sat am, it is worth trying the Brisbane Arcade, there are several local designer shops there which also sell ends of rolls and off cuts on occasion (one of the bridal shops has a permanent fabric shop upstairs). I was there a couple of weeks ago and my daughter bought some awesome Italian rayon knits very inexpensively.
    I would love to meet up in Brisbane this weekend but we are cut off by floods. Bring your raincoats! I hope your daughter does well in her competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I'm a bit worried about the weather actually, thought it was going to be hot to begin with and now with all the rain/flooding up there (the kids still want to go swimming at Southbank though!). The state library sounds lovely, I'm going to try and get there when we go to Southbank.

      Delete
  10. She loves this top - I can tell.
    Nice work Mum.

    ReplyDelete