Sunday, December 2, 2012

Cake 0144: Tiramisu top






I'm a huge fan of Steph C from 3 hours past, she was a huge help with my pants block and I'm thrilled she's started the Cake pattern line. My copy of the tiramisu dress turned up on Friday and I got started straight away! Since I really need more tops I thought I'd shorten the dress into a top this time round.

My muslin was a 45D to start with, this was erring on the larger size of my measurements and it ended up huge, to get the front to sit right the midriff band needs to be pretty fitted and it just wasn't. This version is a 40D with the midriff band about half the height (I have a short waist and the original length was sitting down near my hips) and the bust wraps sewn further across to make it tighter (I was getting some gaping), I actually think if I'd made the 40C it might have fit better.


Instructions are great and I really like the construction method, it ends up very neat and its so easy to apply the binding. The fabric is a lightweight rayon knit from fabric.com and I left it unhemmed.
The bust line looks like its a bit high in these pics, I think if I'd done the dress the weight of the full skirt would have pulled it down enough to sit perfectly, but in real life it looks fine.


Don't mind the grumpy face, it had just started to rain again! I'm really happy with the top, wore it all day today after I took the pics and it really is a comfortable but pretty top. Can't wait to see more Cake patterns!

18 comments:

  1. This looks very comfy - are you planning on making up the dress version now that you have tried it as a top? I think the cross-over top suits you - from memory you have made up another that I also liked...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome. So glad someone has made it up already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's quick! I am hoping my pattern will arrive this week so I can try it out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, and so impressed to see the pattern made up already! Great tip on reducing the depth of the midriff band for the short waisted among us. You've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so curious to see it dines and I think you did a great job. I also liked the version as a top ... It's lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great looking top - I think I might try the PDF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I'm so excited to get my pattern soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great top on you! Thanks for sharing your fitting experience with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely top, I can't wait to get my copy of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's Great! I love it as a top, I like how it looks like an empire waist, very flattering. Can't wait to get mine now, should be here any day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so quick! I really want to make this up soon too. Great to see it IRL :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No hanging around for you! Great make and thanks for the mini review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heavens you sew so fast!!! I got this the other day and I'm most curious to give it a try. The instructions are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your top looks great. If you don't mind me asking, what pants are you wearing? Is it the Juniper? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yep I am wearing my Juniper pants, I've been living in them!

      Delete
  15. I have to ask, are the pants from a pattern and if so, what pattern? They are ADORBS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the pants are Colette patterns 1024 Juniper pants.

      Delete