So capes, I'm still not sure if they're a bit costumey to wear or not but I have to admit I love them! I was a bit put off by how shapeless they are so when I found this one at Modcloth I decided to copy it.
I started off with NewLook 6007 and made a couple of toiles. Once I pinned the sides together it was going to be too small so I added a lot to the arm pieces and some extra to both the front and back panels.
I added bound buttonholes and single welt pockets again. The fabric is a thick springy wool I got from Rathdowne Fabrics in Melbourne last year (great place btw, fantastic fabrics and great prices). The lining is from my hubbie's Nan, so its the old thicker lining.
It took a bit of fiddling around but I decided the best way to add the elastic was to sew a channel around the waist like in the Minoru jacket. So now the lining is added, I'll sew the channel, thread the elastic through then sew the sides together. I thought about a bias band around the whole inside but I really wanted a lining and for it to look nice and neat inside.
You can see the difference just with one side having the elastic pinned on. I kinda wish I hadn't put that top buttonhole in now, it would have folded nicer without it, but too late now!