8 bits and pieces
I started seriously sewing around the end of January 2011, mostly because of sewing blogs. I discovered The Sew Weekly and Gerties Blog for Better Sewing while researching 1950's style clothing for a theme birthday party. The blogs made sewing seem so easy, just take it one step at a time, and the quality of the garments sewn was unfathomable to me then! Before that I had made the occasional bit of clothing for the kids, but I didn't have the patience or the access to help so it all seemed like it was way too hard and the stuff I made looked homemade not handmade.
So things I have learned;
- Slow down! The way I used to sew is best described as Kamikaze sewing - smash the pedal flat and scream!
- The weight, stretch and pattern on the fabric makes a massive difference as does the interfacing to the finished project
- Lots of ironing - I don't iron in normal life except for when I sew, and I still can't believe the difference in finish quality.
- Just because fabrics are cheap or pretty doesn't mean they will make a nice garment - most likely they'll end up in my stash gathering dust
- Fit to me is the most important thing and is sometimes so hard to get right
Goals for this year;
- Think before buying fabric - I want better quality fabric bought with a garment in mind
- Learn more about tailoring, things like pad stitching, using sew in interfacing like hair canvas and bound buttonholes/welt pockets - there's an upcoming Craftsy course with Gertie for a suit jacket that I'm really looking forward too!
- Have a go at a more couture garment, I've just signed up for the Craftsy course with Susan Khaljie on sewing a couture dress - I'll be posting more about this soon!
- Keep on working on the perfect fit
I still can't believe how much I love sewing. It's my escape and way to calm down. If I don't sew for a couple of days I start getting twitchy! Because of sewing I have a lot more confidence in myself which has a lot to do with having a range of well fitting clothing. Before I had a very small selection and could never seem to find anything that fitted right in rtw so its a real pleasure to have things for the first time in my adult life like a well fitted jacket and pants.
So onwards 2012!