Monday, February 8, 2016

Victory Patterns 1002: Ava Dress




I seem to be going back through my old patterns lately and sewing them up! I made this as the blouse a couple of years ago. I always wore it with a wide belt though as it had a tendency to poof out on my stomach so I got rid of it in the big wardrobe cull of 2015.
This time I wanted to correct the things that bothered me with the first version - added a waistband to eliminate the poofyness, used smaller bias binding to make the binding sit smoother, got rid of the darts and added princess seams. Otherwise its a fairly similar colour palette - purple ponte and a basic black lace!

Pattern details;

Size 14
Added 1" FBA
Changed darts into princess seams
Added the waistband.
Dropped the neckline by 1"
Left out the zipper (hooray for ponte!)
Sewed the side seams last and took it in by 1/2" each side.
Took 1.5cm out of the bodice length (once the skirt was added the weight dropped it all too low)
Made the length somewhere in between the short and long length.
Added pockets from the Burda dress I last made


Fabric;
Ponte from Clear-It
Lace from the salvos (its just a cheap Spotlight one though)

Insides are all serged and I reinforced the shoulder seams with some selvage since the dress is quite heavy



I like how unpretentious this dress is in regards to sewing the lace, no fanciness, just sew it up like any other fabric. For someone who's still a little scared of lace I like how basic it is. No couture techniques here, just serge it all up and no worries!

I'm really happy with it, its a pretty dress that I can still wear with a shrug to work. And I am so much happier with the fit now compared to my first attempt!

Daughter approved!

7 comments:

  1. Love this dress! It looks amazing on you and I adore the colour.

    Such a cute picture with your daughter. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job, Suzie! It's also so great to see all of the changes you made to the pattern. The color looks so great on you too!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY pretty! It looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it's beautiful! I love the colour and the lace! Great fit too - nice job adding the waistband. I'm starting to think I don't like the seam across my tummy on dresses like this. I made a Moneta a while back, and I keep thinking a waistband would've been a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress! Good to see you smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lace! Your combination looks great.

    ReplyDelete