Wednesday, February 3, 2016

BurdaStyle FS/2014 : Smocked back dress




I've been eyeing off a dress at City Chic for ages and planned on copying it, right down to the colour. But after I started to muslin this pattern I decided I liked the muslin fabric enough to finish it!


 

Pattern details;
Burdastyle dress download
Size 44
1" FBA
Omitted the front button band
Gathered the skirt instead of pleats
Cut the same pattern piece for front and back skirt (the back skirt is very straight and I wanted more flare)
Left out the facings and used bias binding
Added a waistband.
Added the top bias band. I did trial it on the top edge sitting up and also folded down but liked it a lot more folded down.



Fabric details:
Sateen from Spotlight - I bought this years ago and then fell out of love with it and its sat in my muslin bin for ages.


Because the sateen is so thick I stitched channels for 6mm elastic instead of using shirring thread. It makes a heavier more stable elastic panel but its quite comfortable to wear. You do have to watch that its not too tight though as the last dress I did this on it tended to collapse and crease when wearing, but I overfitted it and this time it seems to be sitting fine.


I really like the pockets, having them built into the front skirt makes it really easy to sew the side seams up last.


I'm still not completely convinced by the straps, I had planned on doing adjustable ones but thought I'd try out the double straps, they may get replaced later though!

Insides are all serged and bias binding at the top edge.



Now to make the next version in navy with buttons!

8 comments:

  1. That is really cute and will look great in the navy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous dress. It really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh I love this. I put this dress pattern in my Pattern Whisperer post for summer sundresses last summer and I am totally looking forward to making it. Looks great on you and yes make another :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love this. The fabric is just gorgeous and the style is perfect. Can't wait to see the next one. That bias top band is a great touch - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, what a fab dress! Love the changes/finishes you made. And the fabric really is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I love that fabric! I had some similar that was black and white stripes with blue and green flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this Smocked back dress. Thanks for sharing it. I wore a similar outfit in my cousin’s spring wedding at Malibu wedding venues. Everyone liked my dress a lot. To be honest, I never thought that I would look that good!

    ReplyDelete