Monday, November 30, 2015

Cake 0144: Tiramisu Dress






I'm on a stash busting mission at the moment so sewing through what I have - I got this jersey from Rathdowne Fabrics a year or two ago. Its got great recovery and is a nice medium weight.
I've made this dress a couple of times now but mostly with crappier knits so this dress should *fingers crossed* last a lot longer.

Because this is only a medium weight, I wanted the waistband to have more heft to it so I cut 2 and interfaced them both with a weft interfacing. This gives it a lot more stability and helps it sit smoother when wearing the dress.


I did my same adjustments as last time - the back is a 45, front is a 40D and the waistband/skirt is a 42.5". I extended the sleeves by 1.5" and widen them slightly by about .5".
Except I added to the bust length, this pattern is meant to be sewn without having to add a FBA but I found with me the length through the bodice I just way too short.

I got myself a coverstitch machine this year, talk about a learning experience with it though! I've been using serger thread and had it skipping stitches a lot, I've swapped over to proper poly machine thread now and it seems to be stitching a lot better. I used the coverstitch on my hems and bindings.

I've had a huge sew-jo drop in the last couple of months, this dress is not my best sewing (the waistband doesn't line up perfectly on the side and I should have cut the pockets out with a better stripe placement) but it was nice to just sew without stressing out about the little things!

5 comments:

  1. Those stripes look so fresh and cheerful! Nice stash busting. Hope the sewjo returns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress! And I can imagine that sewing those bridesmaids' dresses would sap a lot of people's sewjo. Looking forward to seeing more from you again as your sewjo returns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress. This pattern is ideal for showcasing those dramatic stripes. The navy and white is a lovely fresh combination for summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress -- I've been wanting to make the Cake dress for awhile. There are so many beautiful ones around. I finally checked the website, but it seems like they may no longer be in business. Their Facebook page ends in July, and there are some posts asking for money to be returned. Do you happen to know about them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What coverstitch machine did you get?

    ReplyDelete