Thursday, December 3, 2015

SBCC: 301 Moto Chic Jacket




 

I loved Heather Lou's version of this jacket and when I realised I have a similar fabric decided to make a version (imitation is the best form of flattery, right...right?)


Fabric is a mystery herringbone from Lincraft. It pressed as if it had some wool content but I imagine it's mostly polyester.
Lining is a sunsilky from the stash. I made the binding for the hem out of it too.
Because my fabric has a fairly soft hand, I interfaced the entire jacket outer with a medium weft interfacing. I also added a back neck facing.



Adjustments;
I made an XL, graded in at the waist to a L.
1" FBA 
1" wide back adjustment
1.5" to the arm width
added 2" to the arm length.
Doubled the back peplum width - when I made it up it just looked too flat and I wanted more gathers!

Its meant to be a cropped jacket, I'm fairly short through the waist so made the length as is and it hits my waistline perfectly. I would prefer to add a couple of inches to the peplum though if I made it again.


The instructions are, well, horrible....they are written as if you were making it out of leather which is fine but if you try to insert the zipper that way its inside out for a fabric jacket....There is a sewalong up now which helps a bit but is also mostly written for leather. I did make a muslin and its fairly obvious how to construct once you've made it. I'll put up with no instructions though if its an interesting pattern and I really do love the shape.


I added some press-studs so I could wear it open - I don't tend to wear any jackets or tops that go up to my neck. I also added the studs to the inner facing as I found mine sagged down. My fabric is fairly thin though, even with it interfaced.

It's an interesting pattern, I like the fit and how the peplum is unlined. Its a pretty version of a moto jacket and would look really nice with a dress too. Even though I look grumpy as hell in these photos I am really happy with it!

11 comments:

  1. I love how it has the flat front and the gathers everywhere else. It really is a flattering look. Nice fit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Its on my list and I'm been trying to prioritize it since the sew along started. Well, I haven't moved on it yet but seeing yours really makes me want to start. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful jacket and the gathered peplum is a lovely feminine detail. Just as beautiful on the inside too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely jacket. I like that style for short waists (like mine too). It's very flattering on you. Shame about the instructions though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute jacket! I'm crazy for short gathered peplum thingies on tops - this looks great on you. And the lining & binding are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love LOVE your jacket (as usual)! The bright lining is so much fun next to the lovely outter fabric, and I adore the offset zipper and the gathered peplum.

    It's a good thing we live on separate continents, because I'd probably try to theive your entire wardrobe at this point. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. really cute and looks like a great piece you can dress up or down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry the instructions were "horrible". I am always open to suggestions and willing to offer help if there is a difficulty. But, if no one says anything, then I assume it's ok. Some of the sewing is a little abstract to illustrate, so I was hoping that the sew-along would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's interesting that u added to the gathers because I thought if I made it the gathers might make me look fatter ... But it looks really nice on you. Perhaps your good fabric choice helps. I must try this pattern ... I'm also "height challenged".!

    ReplyDelete