Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sewaholic 1401: Gabriola Skirt




I've had this pattern since it came out but seeing Julia Bobbins gorgeous skirt made me get it out and get started!
After making the vogue 1247 skirt I really like a straight waistband on me, it makes the skirt hang better and doesn't give the fitting nightmares that I've had on skirts before. All this is missing is some pockets, with all those seam lines on the yoke its crying out for a hidden pocket or two....next time!


Size wise: I used the size 16 and graded up at the waist to about a sz 20. I think this has to be the most easiest skirt to fit I've ever made because I made no other adjustments.

The blue fabric is a rayon from Spotlight, I didn't have quite enough (2.5m of 112cm wide) so I made the skirt side panels less flared at the bottom and used a black cotton poplin for the yoke inserts and waistband. I do wish I'd used a more thicker fabric on the yoke and waistband, it does feel a bit flimsy and could do with a bit more heft. Its showing up pretty lurid on my monitor, but its just a nice bright blue in real life.

The waistband called for interfacing but I used elastic instead.


I love how fitted it is at the waist and hips and how swishy it is to wear, it really is a fantastic pattern and I can see a few more makes in my future!

3 comments:

  1. Don't skirts feel feminine and so comfortable? So much better to wear than jeans if you are going to be sitting a lot at work or such. This blue is so your color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore that colour of blue on you. :) I love the colour contrast with the blue and black. It really highlights the details in the waistband. You look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, nice job! I love the colour contrast and how sporty it looks like this. Looks super comfortable too, and really good on you. I've been wanting to make a long skirt for ever, but I always feel so awkward in them. This one (and Julie's - holy cow that is a stunning skirt) are making me want one again!

    ReplyDelete