Friday, March 8, 2013

Tiramisu take 2 and Brisbane catch-up





I cut out this version straight after finishing the last one, I love this pattern!

I've had this fabric in my stash for a while, it was one of those preshirred fabrics that are hemmed on one end and shirred on the other, I suppose its so you could make a really quick strapless dress out of it. I chopped off the shirred bit and just used the bottom half. I had plans for this to be a teal knit on the top and the stripes on the bottom to break it up a bit, but the teal ended up too tight and got chucked aside. Luckily I had enough to cut out the bodice from the leftover stripes! I always seem to struggle with knits being either too stretchy or not stretchy enough!
Same sizing as last time, I did add about 1cm to the bodice front though and it sits nicely underbust now.


I love the stripe layout, the pattern makes it really easy, I cut everything in a single layout using this technique. It means the stripes are identical and makes it so much easier to sew.


I read a blog post the other day about the perfect hem length. My thigh and calves are the same length oddly enough so I need my skirts to hit straight across my knee. I don't usually hold too much stock in things like this but it does seem to work and I look less frumpy with this length skirt, so take it FWIW.


The Brisbane catch-up
 
 
Even though it was very short notice Judith and Summer Flies managed to meet me for a cuppa and a chat. It was fantastic meeting them face to face even though it was absolutely bucketing down with rain! I really enjoyed Brisbane, it's such a well laid out city and so easy to get around in. I did get a chance to drop into The Fabric Store and got some nice material for a future StyleArc polo top (I found the sales assistant a lot nicer/politer than the Melbourne ones!). On the way home I stopped in at Ballarat Patchwork and got some lovely material. If anyone is going thorough Ballarat stop for a look, the shop is such an explosion of colour and the most beautiful quilting fabric!

20 comments:

  1. Great dress, and I agree the length is flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely version- I love the stripes! I' just finished up my second version of the tiramisu and I agree, you can never have too many!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, I've already started planning another version!

      Delete
  3. Your dress looks AMAZING on you!
    I love that Ballarat shop too - have you been to the one in Ballan? It's even better - has a great cafe next door and there are walls and walls full of lovely bolts of fabric. Ballan is about 1/2 hour out of Ballarat on the way to Melbourne, and has a very easy turn-off the highway. Thru the Red Door I think it's called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I did not know this, we will be taking a detour next time we head to Melbourne!

      Delete
  4. I love this dress on you! The dark stripes are great, and this length is perfect. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your dress, the length is spot on. It must be great to meet fellow Bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou and it was great meeting up, I don't know anyone else locally who sews so other bloggers are the only people I can have a real sewing chat with!

      Delete
  6. Love your dress, the length is spot on. It must be great to meet fellow Bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Firstly, I'm glad it rains in Aussie too! Next, just great work on your chevrons - I love it, you look great and I agree with the length ethos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently its Brisbanes wet season at the moment, so its humid and raining all the time! My brother house is a two-storey queenslander and it flooded out the downstairs one of the days because it rained so much!

      Delete
  8. Another wonderful version. It is such a great dress in the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful version of Tiramisu! I'll be searching the web for different version of this dress because I actually won this pattern in a giveaway :) I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic prize to win! I truly love this dress pattern, its so flattering and I still can't get over how comfortable it is to wear!

      Delete
  10. It was a great catch up even with the pouring rain! Your dress looks even more amazing in sunshine! And I happen to agree with skirt lengths... the right length gives much better overall balance. That is perfect length for you - not frumpy at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your two Tiramisus are gorgeous on you, so flattering. I'm so glad you gave the pattern another go. It's interesting how different knits behave. It was great to meet you in real life in Melbourne. I'm contemplating a longer sleeve version for the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suzy this dress looks great on you!! Love the stripes and the length definitely looks perfect for you as well. I agree this is such a great pattern! Oh by the way... you won't believe this but I won another plus size pattern pyramid... so I'm planning on running one comp with two chances to win... so stay tuned LOL

    ReplyDelete