Tuesday, September 13, 2011

McCalls 5936





Description: Semi-fitted princess seamed jackets A, B have separate lapels, flared peplums and sleeve variations.

Fabric: Ponte double knit. The fabric was stripped but I turned it to the wrong side to get a mottled grey look. I used a stretch satin for the lining.



Pattern Sizing: I cut the 18 with adjustments

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it does!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, I didn't originally read them and bagged the lining out, but I think it must have been the weight of the knit stretched down the length of the back so I got some buckling. I ended up unpicking it and adding on extra to the lining them followed the instructions to sew it back up again.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the peplum, its just a bit of a surprise to an otherwise basic jacket. I like the short length too.



Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: FBA and extra width to the back, and widened and lengthened the sleeves.


Action shot (still getting used to the timer on my camera!)



Eyes shut(Definitely not used to the timer, lol)



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I actually sewed it in a purple stretch corduroy but the fabric is a bit too thick and I found the peplum doesn't drape - it tends to stick straight out! I will sew it again if I can find another nice knit or a drapey wool. This was my first jacket made out of a knit and I was worried it would look too much like a hoody/sweatshirt but it turned out nice and its extremely comfortable. It is also the first jacket I've used satin for the lining and have found it doesn't breath like a nice rayon, I don't think I'd use it again unless I run across it at a market/op shop.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ms. Suzy,

    My name is Masera Ahmed and I am currently a senior taking Fashion in high school. I am part of the FCCLA-Fashion. Every year FCCLA has a fashion competition where students have to design, sew, and model something they made. This year I would like to make the mccalls pattern 5936, but it is out of print. I checked amazon, ebay, and called McCalls. I know this is a lot to ask, but would you be willing to send me you copy of the pattern with directions? I would really appreciate it and send the pattern right back to you, once I made the garment. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

    Masera

    ReplyDelete