Sunday, September 18, 2011
Burda 7494 - Jacket
Pattern Description: Fitted, cropped jacket with puffy sleeves
Pattern Sizing:I did a size 16 with adjustments
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, pretty close
Were the instructions easy to follow? Well they were Burda instructions so they weren't the best. They were fairly abbreviated and involved a fair bit of hand sewing.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the cropped length and no collar
Fabric Used:Cotton sateen. Lining and button was from the Alannah Hill factory outlet in Melbourne (they have some lovely quality, cheap remnants there)
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: FBA for about 2", widened the back by 1" and used 1" seams on the sides. I changed the sleeves to be longer and less puffy and used darts instead of pleats. The instructions have you put in a buttonhole along the seam line of the peplum but i found it a bit low so did a normal buttonhole instead.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Not sure if I would sew it again for myself, but I would sew it for someone else.
Conclusion: Not sure on this jacket, I paper fitted, then did a muslin but am still not completely happy about the fit, thought to be fair to Burda its more from me changing things than from the way the pattern is drafted. I do like the cropped length, still unsure on the no collar look, but it is something different.
I finally moved back in to my sewing room (the back shed!) as the weather has warmed up enough I'm not freezing and this is the first thing I've sewed back in there. I'm still umming and ahhing over this jacket, I might have to hang it in the cupboard and ignore it for a while before I can start to enjoy it. I made it mainly to go over dresses in summer and I think it will be fairly cute but geez it was a PITB to sew, mainly from my adjustments and doing silly things like not transferring over the adjustments to the lining so I did cut, interface and sew the front facing and then realised it was about 4 inches too short for the jacket!!!! Bugger! And somehow I managed to sew the lining tighter than the jacket so ended up unpicking a couple of seams for a bit of extra length. But its done now and on to planning the next project.