I think this summer's uniform is going to be the maxi skirt for me! I've been wearing my Gabriola skirt heaps lately so it just seemed natural to make a maxi dress as well.
This pattern has a few variations, I made Amber the hi-lo hem version and this is View D with the maxi skirt.
So the adjustments;
- sz20 with d cup
- 1" fba
- 1" wedge from back neck alongside of the zipper
- 2" petite bodice
- 1" wedge out of bustline length
- shirring panel on side
- lowered neckline
- added waistband
- added pockets from Simplicity 2588
Every time I try one of these cup size patterns I end up adjusting the fit more than if I'd started with a basic B cup bodice. This time I started with a d-cup bodice and had to do a 1" fba on the first muslin then had to take a big wedge out of length on the second - its like I need the width but not the length I'm finding - I really should add to the side seams which would let me do a smaller fba and also allow for an easier sleeve adjustment each time.
I had to take a wedge out the back neckline along the zipper as it was gaping, same as I had to on Amber's dress. This is not a common adjustment for me so I tend to think its more of a fault on the pattern.
Fabric is a rayon from the clearance table at spotlight - its a nice weighty rayon. I used a cotton poplin for the lining and a cotton sateen for the waistband. The photo below is more true to the colour.
The dress isn't designed with the waistband but I found it was just too much pattern without it, this fabric really needed a break.
I think the next maxi dress I make will be a frankenpattern of this skirt with the bodice of Vogue 8648, I just need to find some more decent rayon!