Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Fehr Trade 103: Duathlon shorts


 
It is incredibly frustrating looking for RTW plus size exercise gear. Its hard to find for starters, usually the tops are baggy and shapeless, the leggings all fit oddly and sit way too high up on my waist that's if I do actually find any that do fit....Enter the Duathlon shorts. This is my first fehr trade pattern and I've got to say I'm impressed. As drafted the waist is higher at the back than the front so for once I didn't need to add to it. Plus I am in love with the contrast side and built in pocket!
I printed this out and somehow I ended up printing it out too big plus I used a beautifully stretchy fabric which meant I had to take the sides in by a total of 8" per leg and shorten the legs by 4"!


Since I hadn't sewn Fehr Trade patterns before, I basted them first so it was pretty easy to unpick the side panel and take in the black fabric. I scooped out the crotch by about 1/2" front and back. Because it didn't print properly (which was my fault, I did print the test square first so not really sure what I did!), I don't really know what I ended up making size wise. I think its about a sz L with a size XL waistband height and I cut them off at knee length.


I go the fabric from the remnant table at GJ's discount fabrics, its a cotton lycra but is nice and thick with a matte finish. I really regret not getting more because it is just great, feels just like Supplex. the contrast is a digital print ponte from the clearance table at Spotlight.

The best bit about these leggings are the pockets. I have an iPhone 5 and it fits in perfectly, snug enough it doesn't move at all (when the phone is pushed down to the bottom of the pocket it sits about an inch under the opening, I just have it poking out here so you can see it).
 

Anyway, great pants and the daughter has put in her order (which is always a good sign, lol!)

13 comments:

  1. These look great on you. It's always about the fit and you've nailed it.
    The higher back waist is really handy for cycling too. I think you'll be making lots of these for your daughter and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review ~ I really must grab this pattern as your pair look great ... J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These pants turned out great, and you achieved such an awesome fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I bought this pattern too, and since you've forged ahead with testing the size L I think I'll be brave and just cut the pattern as is. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great!!!!!! I love the contrast fabric. They look like a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the contrast, and the pocket ..just great.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzy, these do look great on you! I'm convinced these are a winner and are on my list now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really really like these! I think they look like they would be comfy cycling shorts too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woo! I love these, especially that galaxy fabric! I'm so glad you were able to get these to fit you (basting was a v clever idea). :) Happy sweating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shorts! It's always good to look cute when you work out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great! Not sure if you've heard about it already or not, but a few of us are starting up a Curvy Sewing Collective (http://cashmerette.blogspot.com/2014/04/introducing-curvy-sewing-collective.html) , and would love to have you contribute on sewing plus size activewear (& other things if you want!) if you're interested? You can email me on cashmerette@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete