Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Colette Sewing Handbook: Taffy Blouse






Pattern description: Floaty blouse with flutter sleeves and bias bound edges


Size: I made a straight 18


Material used: Polkdot chiffon and a poly/cotton blend for the bias binding.


I did a rolled hem. I'm actually really happy with it, last time I tried it, it was a freaking disaster!


Well this has to be the most succesful time I've had with chiffon, let alone bias cut chiffon! I used a chalk roller to mark out the pattern pieces and really took my time cutting out. I rushed the bias binding a little bit but I don't think its noticable.

I thought the instructions were very clear, and I learned that with a french seamed garment you sew the shoulder seam, sleeves in then the side seams finally. It worked a treat and I ended up with a top that had every seam including the sleeves with a french seam.

The fabric is a bit over the top (I can just never resist polkadots, lol) but I quite like it under a vest like in the top photo, and thats the most likely way I'll wear it. Its very flattering to a curvy girl and the flutter sleeves fit so easily over larger arms. I actually forgot to add the waist ties, but they would have helped with the excess in the lower back. I've already bought the fabric for the next version, lol!

1 comment:

  1. Suzy, the blouse looks beautiful. I especially love the pattern! Now, I was just starting to cut it and realized the front dart does not align. Did you have any problem with it? If so, how did you solve it?

    ReplyDelete