Friday, November 11, 2011

Sewaholic 1101 : Crescent Skirt





Pattern Description; Gathered skirt with a fitted yoke. Your choice of a slightly gathered skirt, a fuller gathered skirt or a longer, knee-length skirt. Optional trim or contrast topstitching highlights the fitted waistband

Size: I originally graded up to a size 18, but then took about an inch or two out of the waistband, so probably close to a size 16 at the waist and an 18 for the skirt

Fabric; I used leftover Sateen for the waistband and a plain cotton for the skirt and piping


I added piping to the pocket edges


And piping and topstitching down the yoke details (I cut the front yoke as one instead of two separate pieces)


Ended up having to use an invisible Zip because it was all I had that matched


I hemmed it a bit shorter than what I usually like skirts, but I found it looked a bit frumpy on me with it longer.

I'm a bit on the fence about this skirt, i love the waistband and I like the detail to the yoke and the pockets. It was well drafted and went together beautifully. I found it a bit of a straight skirt and I think I should have made the more gathered version, but mainly I think its the fabric....It just feels a bit Becky Home Ecky (thanks a lot Project runway, lol). It crumples and doesn't have the weight to pull it down properly. Maybe I'm just too used to sewing skirts with Sateens or knits.


I'll make it again, but either with a different skirt (I'm thinking of Colette Ginger with the Crescent skirt yoke waistband - I could never get the more straight waistband of the ginger to fit properly, but I loved the A-Line skirt)or different fabric.

2 comments:

  1. Love the yoke on this skirt - great colour and fit on you. And the piping detail is brilliant - well done!!!

    ReplyDelete